Mar 23, 2009

Southern Gothic 1

During the years I've owned an iPod, grouping together songs that share a similar tempo, sound, or theme has become a habit. One of my longstanding playlists is titled Southern Gothic.

In American literature, writers such as William Faulkner, Flannery O'Connor, Truman Capote and Tennesse Williams typify this genre. Their work evokes a shadowy, dark, dysfunctional Southern US inhabited by people whose lives have become twisted and whose promise has withered.

At the top of my Southern Gothic playlist is a tune titled "Real Money" by songwriter extraordinaire Robbie Fulks. My husband and I had the pleasure of seeing Fulks live at Nashville's iconic Blue Bird Cafe nearly a decade ago. Prior to the show, we'd never heard of him. It turns out that describing him as a "honky tonk smartass" and "monster talent" covers things nicely.

Play this song loud and you'll enter a creepy world of political corruption and neglected children.


Get a playlist! Standalone player

Couples in Trouble - the CD on which this song appears - is not available on iTunes. It can be purchased from Fulks' web site for $13.00 USD or for $12.99 CDN from Amazon.ca (Personally, I prefer purchasing from the artists themselves so that more of my money makes it into their hands.)

..